Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Clumsy Duck - by Britta Teckentrup


Poor Clumsy Duck! Not a day goes by without her stumbling, tripping, or falling over her huge webbed feet. But with the help of her special friend Little Chick, Clumsy Duck discovers exactly what those big feet are good for - and what a fabulous swimmer she is. With delightful illustrations and a most endearing character, Britta Teckentrup has created a charming story about finding your own special talents.

My Thoughts:
This is an adorable story that sends a wonderful message to small children. I sat down to read this with my 4 year old and she had such compassion for Clumsy Duck. We were able to talk about the challenges he faces and how that must make him feel. Then when he meets a new friend, Little Chick, we were able to discuss all the ways that Little Chick was a good friend and how she helped Little Duck have confidence and discover her hidden talent.

This story is a relatable one for children who are starting to notice difference and compare themselves to other children. It breaks my heart when my daughter comes home from an activity feeling sad because she's "not as good" at this or that as some of the other children. This book makes children realize that they aren't alone and everyone feels that way about something and everyone has their own special talent.

The characters are lovable, the illustrations are cheery, and the message is important. This is an all around great book. Recommended for children ages 3-6.

2 comments:

Show Me Mama said...

Looks like a fun book. I noticed the comparing herself to others with my daughter. Not anymore thought, she grew out if that stage. Now, as for as my little man goes, If I only can get him to sit still for a minute so he can at least look at the pictures in a book. :) Oh, well, I will keep on reading he might eventually come and look at it but at least I am reading it to him :). Thanks for sharing.

Lara said...

Oh I am so glad your daughter moved on from that phase. I feel so helpless when my daughter compares herself to someone else. And I totally understand the won't sit still phase! We are in it too. I have to read to my son when he's very sleepy lol!