Friday, February 18, 2011

Just Another Manic... Month?

I have to apologize for my absence lately. I've been posting some reviews, but I haven't been blabbering away on Facebook and Twitter or visiting my favorite blogs (sorry ladies! I will try and swing by sooooon). All of this is because of a "simple" kitchen make-over.

My husband and I decided that a whole new kitchen just wasn't in the stars for us. But we figured that a new floor and new counters would make a HUGE difference. So we started on this little adventure and everything was going swimmingly!

When we talked about our plans for the kitchen it sounded like we were living in two different houses. "I want white counters." "I want earth tones." But when we got to the floor store and the tile store we were on the exact same page and had everything picked out in one visit! Amazing!

We scheduled all the measurement visits and learned that our back splash tile would have to come down. "No problem," said the hubby. "They will just pop off." And off he went to pop tiles. Then I got the e-mail (while I was at work)....."the wall is crumbling." Yup, with the tile came all the sheet rock.

Now, under normal circumstances this would be a setback but manageable. But our counters were scheduled to be installed the next day. And the walls had to be fixed in order for the counters to go in. Luckily we have a friend who is a contractor and he fit us in immediately.

Phew, we were in the clear. Then this morning I get a call from the counter people that they have to push us back to tomorrow. Ummm... I have no counter. I did my dishes in the bathroom sink last night. I have a toddler! I can't live like this for a whole day!

So here we sit... waiting to see if our counters will arrive today or not. Oh, and did I mention that in the midst of all this work we had a gas leak? Oh yeah, it's been a good week.

9 comments:

Krista said...

What an experience...but I'm sure it will be amazing once the project is done.

ChinaDoll said...

I hope they can have it fixed today...its really a huge inconvenience...but I'm pretty sure that once the project is done...you'll have a beautiful kitchen =)

♥hugs♥
coLine
www.thepinkchinadoll.com

Lara said...

Thank you! I am hoping it turns out great. It's so hard to imagine it all coming together when you only see tiny samples.

elisa said...

Oh man! We renovated our kitchen a few years back and it was so difficult. Hang in there. When it's all said and done, you'll love the updates and can enjoy all this hard work.

Show Me Mama said...

wow, Yep I can understand how you must feel. But hey, think of how it will look once it is all done. Beautiful. Show us pictures when it is done. I can't wait to see it.

Lara said...

Thanks everyone! I need to keep thinking about the finished product and not the current disaster zone...

ps - still no counter tops and it's 4:10 pm...

Jenn said...

Oh no! I'm sorry. I hope they get it all installed and things run smoothly from here on out! I bet it will be well worth it! It will look great!

Sorry I haven't been around lately! I'm doing good to get things done. :( I'm a little overwhelmed. I should be back to normal after the birthday bash next week! :)

Hope you have a great weekend!

Mom vs. the boys said...

wow, aren't renos just the best? lol hang in there, it will all be worth it in the end! can't wait to see the after pics

Lara said...

Thanks everyone! Good news... the counters are in and I have a working sink! Woohoo! Floor comes tomorrow :)