Sunday, February 6, 2011

My Own Happiness Project

This week we had a guest speaker come to my work. Gretchen Rubin is an author who wrote a book called "The Happiness Project." So she spoke to us about her journey to becoming a happier person. I haven't read the book yet, but I thoroughly enjoyed her talk and it motivated me in so many ways.

She said a few things that really hit home for me. Like this one example of how cleaning out your medicine closet can make you feel like a different person. It's so very true! Last week we had a snow day and I needed something to keep me busy and keep myself from eating the day away. So I decided to clean out my pantry. The pantry door is always closed. No one can see it. No one but me and my husband ever go in there. But having it cleaned out and organized mad me feel like a huge weight had been lifted off my shoulders. I felt like I had a productive day and my mind literally felt more organized.

Another thing that she mentioned was that one of the best things you can do to start your day off happy is to make your bed. Something so simple and small can change the whole way you think and feel when you start your day. I didn't know if I bought it. So yesterday I tried it. I never make my bed. Bad habit. But yesterday I did and it really did make a difference. I had gone out to dinner with friends and I came home to a beautiful room with a nicely made bed. I felt great climbing in. It was weird how simple it was to find peace in something I had never given much thought to.

So I have decided to start my own Happiness Project. I am going to do some small things to help make myself feel more productive, organized, and less stressed. She also noted that if you come across something that can be done in less than a minute never put it off. Hang up your coat. Throw something in the garbage instead of on the counter. Wash the glass instead of leaving it in the sink.

I am sure there is so much more to her book. She talked about feelings and controlling anger. She talked about her goals for how she acted with her family, spending time with them, keeping a one sentence journal to remember every day of her kids' lives. All of these things have intrigued me and I plan on reading the book. But for now, I am taking some small steps. I am making my bed. I am cleaning out drawers, cabinets, closets, anything I can organize... a little at a time. I'm a mom, a wife, a teacher, a genuinely busy person. So small things are all I can handle at the moment. But I am excited to see if these small things make a big difference!

4 comments:

Mom vs. the boys said...

I love it when you get motivated like that, it just feels great! I thought I was the only person who never made the bed! ha!

Show Me Mama said...

You know that I have to agree with you. I honestly can't leave my house without making the bed or straightening up the house before I leave. My mom always used to say " You never know who will come by to visit " and that stuck with me each day. One little task can change your entire day and attitude. Thanks for sharing this wonderful post. love it.

Lara said...

Haha... I always thought I was the only one who never made my bed! I feel like as an adult you're expected to and I was still living like a kid! But it's made today :)

Show Me Mama, you are so right! You never know who will stop by. And it does make such a huge difference in your day. I love to come home and just have things in order. It takes away some of the stress and anxiety!

Krista said...

I've just finished reading Gretchen Rubin's The Happiness Project, and I'll be starting my own this week. I have a few goals I'd like to accomplish that will make my life happier, and maybe a little easier.