Sunday, May 9, 2010

Book Review: WHEN DID I GET LIKE THIS? The Screamer, the Worrier, the Dinosaur-Chicken-Nugget-Buyer, and Other Mothers I Swore I’d Never Be - By Amy Wilson

I wasn't planning on doing any book reviews on my blog, simply due to my lack of time to read. But when Tandem Literary approached me about reviewing Amy Wilson's book, WHEN DID I GET LIKE THIS? The Screamer, the Worrier, the Dinosaur-Chicken-Nugget-Buyer, and Other Mothers I Swore I’d Never Be, I couldn't say no. The reason I couldn't say no was because of what I read about the book and this video clip:


Yup.... that's me. I am officially the mother I swore I would never be. I felt such a connection to Wilson while reading this book. It almost felt like therapy. Someone was putting into words all the fears, insecurities and joys I have felt since my daughter was born.

Wilson really talks about the reality of motherhood in a fun way, like interviewing for kindergarten and being rejected (I didn't even know you could be rejected from a kindergarten!). But she also covers some of the more serious issues, like not knowing your baby has reflux and having them be in pain for weeks. But she's exactly right, we don't always know! We are doing the best we can and sometimes it doesn't seem like it's enough. But all the worrying and exhaustion is just us being good moms.

Wilson feels like your best friend being honest about the ups and downs. Her children are older than mine, so I got a little glimpse into my future as well. We may all have different situations and different kids, but we can all relate to this book!!
I really looked forward to settling down with Wilson's book at night. I may have only been able to keep my eyes open for a few pages at a time, but she always had me craving for more.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I love to read - even with the lack of time - thank you for sharing this book! I'll put it in my queue!

Melanie
www.jonathanandmelanie.blogspot.com